Thursday, May 6, 2010

May Playlist

So I've been obsessively watching stand-up routines on YouTube in hopes of finding inspiration for my own looming disaster-fail. I found this though, and thought it worth passing on. Additionally, I called my dad last night to tell him that I was doing stand-up and his response basically scared the living daylight out of me (how come I find another phrase that I hate every single day?? daylight? out of me? I don't have daylight in me...what is this, a yoga retreat?) He told me that he didn't think he could come, because it was agonizing for a parent to watch their child try and do that. Thanks for the support, Dad. To be fair, I'm not sure I want my parents coming, especially since half of the act is going to be straight-up making fun of them.

Moving on, I thought I'd give you all a little musical journey today and let you know what's on my "May 2010" iPod playlist, just for fun.

1) ASK-The Smiths. I literally cannot stop listening to this song. I can feel my iPod sighing everytime I put it on (which is at least ten times a day). I also look like a lunatic walking down the street smiling whenever this uber-British sounding verse comes up:
"Spending warm Summer days indoors
Writing frightening verse
To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg"
 2) FIREFLIES-Owl City. I know, it's so lame, and practically makes me feel like I have a training bra on and a loose wire on my braces just listening to it..but it also puts a big, dumb smile on my face.
3) HANNAH-Ray LaMontagne.
4) LAYLA-Eric Clapton. I never get sick of this song. Or Eric Clapton. Almost makes me want to have a daughter named Layla, but then I get the feeling that I'm not being fair and would have to have other daughters named Melissa, Darlene, and Sarah. (Allman Brothers, Led Zep., Bob Dylan...in case you were lost there)
5) SUMMER WIND-Frank Sinatra. The next time you want to feel pretty, put this bad boy on while you're getting dressed and putting on makeup. Guaranteed to make you feel classier than listening to Lady Gaga.
6) GIRLFRIEND-Phoenix. Just always, Phoenix, always. This band has been a warm weather must ever since I discovered them last summer.
7) JESUS, JESUS NOT AGAIN-John Bustine. Another song I've been listening to on repeat lately.
8) DIE DIE DIE-The Avett Brothers.
10) THE REELING-Passion Pit.
11) SONG FOR CLAY- Bloc Party. I was on a Bloc Party kick at the end of last summer, especially when I was in Hawaii, and put this on the list for palm tree flashbacks.
12) UPON THIS TIDAL WAVE OF YOUNG BLOOD-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Try to be in a bad mood when you listen to this, just try.


There's my list! I'm walking everywhere these days, so if you have more music suggestions put them in the comments.


PS: I tried to make a meatball sub for lunch today but I only had multigrain wraps...so it was more like turkey meatballs and sauce mopped up with parmesean cheese covered cardboard. Great.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I ADORE Phoenix and that song.

I like that song Fireflies, too, but this review of it still made me laugh:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/owl-city-fireflies.php

Adria said...

Okay, that is the FUNNIEST thing I've read in a long time! Thanks, Annabelle!