Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Void

It never ceases to amaze me just how cyclical the world is.

Just yesterday I heard news that a girl who I briefly shared the stage with in college (she had to leave after one semester to go back into treatment for Leukemia) had lost her battle with the cancer. Although I barely knew her I'd followed her story on Facebook-as cliche as that is-and was devastated to hear of her passing. Maybe its my current fragile emotional state, but I flat out erupted into tears when I read the Facebook message that her ex-boyfriend sent to her friends. And then, just now, I got an email from a member of the improv troupe that I used to perform with announcing the birth of his second daughter. I've had a rough day and that piece of news put a smile on my face.

Someone once told me that as soon as you leave a place someone else comes and immediately takes the position you once held. I've always hated this sentiment, because it cheapens individuality, and it made me upset to think about graduating from college and having someone "replace" me in the social sphere there, but it's kind of beautiful to think about now. I'm not saying that the baby born today is a reincarnation of Melissa, who passed away yesterday, but somehow, at least for me, the two are undeniably linked in the universe.

No comments: