Thursday, August 12, 2010

Boats

I've been trying to find a way to blog about this without offending you, and myself, but there just isn't. I always think I like boats, and I always get excited about going on a boat. Sometimes, I even start singing that stupid SNL song, "I'm on a mothaf*ckin' boat!" and laugh about grown men saying "flippy floppys", but I rarely have fun on a boat. Most of the time, I can't wait to get off the boat. There are definitely exceptions here, but it's like being stuck on an elevator with a view, you just can't leave! I mean what if you don't have the right snacks? You're on a M*THAFUCKIN BOAT! You can't just pop into Duane Reade and pick up a carton of yogurt raisins!

I'm ranting about this because I went to a Rocks Off concert on Tuesday. I don't know if you guys have ever done this, but they're boat concerts. The boat goes around the tip of Manhattan, stops by the Statue of Liberty, goes under the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges and its a beautiful ride. But then the band plays, and you can't even see them. Because they're playing inside on a little boat. Now, The Felice Brothers put on a great show. They were very energetic and *jeeeesus* they're young! I didn't really realize it until I noticed them before the show hanging out on the boat's top deck drinking beers with their girlfriends (who were CLEARLY almost still teenagers). But come on guys, I couldn't even see the band, and I couldn't stand on my chair because, again, we were on a mothaf*ckin boat, I would've fallen over.

I like boats where I can lay down in the back and get tan. Or boats where they pour champagne into my mouth and feed me mini quiches, but I don't think I can handle the boat concert again. Maybe I could do a boat like this:
Argh.

A

5 comments:

Anna said...

Not having the right snacks is a BIG concern, but I think it applies to all modes of transportation.

Side note: I saw that boat when I was on a cruise to Mexico (aka another boat).

lalalalauren said...

Haha, I hate boats too. I like the idea of being on a boat, but when I actually am on a boat I either get
a) bored
b) seasick
c) all of the above

TbR said...

I hired a little motorboat when I was on holiday in Greece. An hour into my maritime adventure it got stuck in reverse and smoke started pouring out of the engine.

Since then I've avoided boats wherever possible.

ALTHOUGH I did go on a Thames Clipper, which takes you up and down the Thames. It was great to see the city from a different angle. I imagine it's the same for NY?

Audrey said...

Remember when we saw Carbon Leaf on a boat and had to borrow a wine opener from the bartender to drink our contraband wine because we were underage and also were not smart enough to remember to bring a tool with which to open said wine? Classsssy.

Adria said...

HAHA YES! Carbon Leaf! What's funny is that it was the same tour, Rocks Off Concerts...just not Carbon Leaf. Gooooood times.

My knee was also bleeding uncontrollably.