Monday, March 8, 2010

First Assignment

So, backstory postponed for now because I am currently at my first temp assignment and feel the need to document this groundbreaking event. So lame. That being said, I am literally getting paid to do nothing right now. Granted, they're not paying me much to do nothing, but I'm doing exactly what I normally do on Monday afternoons so it's hardly an inconvenience to be here. It's worth the $12 an hour. The assignment for today is to sit here, at Paul's desk (Paul is an asian intern at this particular ad agency) and appear busy. I am NOT kidding. There is, or so they tell me, a very important client meeting going on about 25 feet to my left and this agency actually hired temps to make them look busy for this client. My first temp assignment is essentially an acting job!

From what I hear about the working world, this is a pretty sweet set up. I'm sitting next to a window with a view of both the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges, and I'm allowed to wear jeans. When I sit at home on Monday afternoons I'm usually wearing jeans, surfing the same casting websites, but stuck in a tiny little box with a view of, uhh, the building across the street. So I'm okay with this set up. In an attempt at being productive, and a risky move if any of these "clients" came over and saw what was on my computer screen, I'm perusing craigslist for catering jobs and market research studies. I'm really trying to quit my waitressing job in the next few weeks, but I have to make sure that I'll be able to make enough money with my new plan first. With today's job I'll be able to pay my share of the electric bill for the month, so ummm, that's a start.

I've literally been told NOTHING about this company that I'm pretending to work for. If someone came up to me and asked what I did I was told to say that I'm an intern in account management. Whaaa? Additionally, I just heard a champagne cork. It seems that the clients have left and there's a celebratory drinking ceremony going on. It would appear that Mad Men's depiction of the advertising world, although dated, is accurate on the drinking front. Some guy just said, "let's get the beer out". I'm starting to rethink my whole plan about being an actress. Maybe I'll apply for a job here. I love day drinking! There's a guy in a sweatshirt drinking a Heineken, why don't I work here?

So intern Paul just came back and asked when he can have his computer back...oh intern Paul, I don't know! I'm getting paid for nothing, but the one thing I DO know is that I have to get that timesheet signed, and you better believe that I'm not giving you your desk/computer back until that lady comes back and signs off on my being here.

I suppose I should sign off for now, but I'll come back and post some backstory later. The first step in the direction of my new life is almost complete, and I didn't even have to wear a pantsuit. Athankyouuuu.

Now I'm going to try and get someone to offer me a drink. Ciao!

2 comments:

Ali said...

This is ALL kinds of hilarity.

Adria said...

Insane, right? The world is a crazy place...